Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #1

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Name: Mark
Default Buying springs soon, need opinions first
Well I am just about to buy some lowering springs. I have pretty much decided on the Tanabe DF210's. Not too long ago I read a couple posts where people indicated that it's recommended to also buy new shocks. I figured ok, I could do that too, until yesterday when I looked into it and found that the shocks will cost almost double what the springs cost. Unfortunately my disposable income that I have to spend on car stuff is somewhat limited. So here's the question(s)....how horrible of an idea is it to still get the springs and have them installed while using the stock shocks? What are the potential negatives that can result from doing this? I suppose I could still get the shocks sometime down the road too.

Also, even though I'm really set on the DF210's, would it be more advisable to consider a spring that doesn't lower as much if I'm thinking of using the stock shocks for now?

Any input is appreciated, hopefully I can decide very soon (maybe even today) what I'm ordering.
Pittshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
i had my df210 for about 20k and struts still running hard before ii switched to coilovers. and im sure alot of df owners ran longer without switching struts..

Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Well that's good to hear. Looks like I may just order my springs later today. I'd still be happy to hear anyone else's input as well though.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Yes the DF210s will be fine on the stock strut for a while or until the strut finally wears out. you may get a better ride with new shocks and struts but it is not going to hurt to use stocks for now. only thing is it may wear out the shocks and struts faster than with the stock spring, but not by that much.

springs now and struts later.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Sounds good, I feel much better about it now. About to order them now. I'll post some pics once they're on and settled a little....should look alot better.

FYI.....seems the general consensus is that the TRD springs aren't very popular since they don't offer too big of a drop, but for anyone that might be interested in them, there's a retailer on Ebay who is selling sets of them for $150 w/ free shipping. Claims they have been discontinued by the manufacturer.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Been running Tanabe DF210's for almost 30K miles and stock shock/struts with no problems...My prior xB I was running 2" lowering springs on stock shock/struts for almost 60K mikes again with no problems...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #7

Pittshark
Full Access Member

Thats good to know....I'll probably replace them at some point but I'd definitely like to put that off for awhile.

BTW, I did end up going with the DF210's, here's a pic....I'll probably put better ones up when I update my photo album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xd_5.jpg (89.2 KB, 19 views)