Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
Default Wheel choices
and this is why i hate geometry. looking at wheels but not entirely sold yet on if they will fit right. i know 17x8 will fit, but the offset is 48mm. if memory serves me, the stock offset is 45mm so i figure it wont be too bad, but id rather ask first before dropping money on them. anyone have any experience with this or just know they will fit? also, will tires sizes become an issue?

-ToT

oh and first post ftw
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
sup chris. stock offset on the xd's are 38mm on a 6.5" rim if i remember correctly. an 8" rim shouldnt fit bad as the width of the rim will make up for the offset difference, but you will be close to the same stance as your stock steelies. id use the 8" width with a 35 offset as about what you can go without modification. if you dont understand width/offset (not all people do) , id be happy to try and explain how it all works, if you do understand, then now you have a general guideline
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #3

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

ey bob. i do understand, just wanted to know a few more specifics. i realize the stance wont get much better, but the market for blue wheels isn't huge . i can invest in some spacers later on if it comes down to it, no biggie. my biggest concern is the tires rubbing up on the suspension. thx for the quick response too.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #4

xDTool
Full Access Member

cool deal then, we can jump to the nitty gritty. i am not entirely sure that you'll see backspacing problems. there are a few people running with 8.5 and 9" wheels on here with mid 30's offsets, which without doing the math on a calculator seems similar in backspacing to what you are working with. I know your pain in looking for generic wheels with a reasonable offset, as most of the wheels that fit our bolt pattern are ET'ed for the subies.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

interesting. i figured 9 in would be too wide, mostly due to the tire you have to fit on there. another option available to me is 17x9 with 42 offset, but again i thew that idea out since i thought the tire would just eat up too much space.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

xDTool
Full Access Member

katchKillah runs 9 in the back with a mild to moderate tire stretch if i recall correctly, and believe he was even contemplating 9.5 in the back. front fitment i dont know if ive seen anything bigger than 8.5and i think that was with a low 40s offset
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #7

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

mmm, well given my options i think ill stick to the 17x8. seems like less hassle, and im not trying to break new ground for extremely wide wheels or have to get different widths for front and back (yet anyway ). all signs seem to point to the 17x8 with 48 offset working alright, and worst case scenario would be to buy one and test fit.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #8

xDTool
Full Access Member

yea cant go wrong buying 1 for test fit. you really shouldnt have a problem from what i can see. quite a few people running tc wheels which i think are 17x7 with +45 offset.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #9

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
ii gots some 16x7bbs wheels nd I'm trying to get the right set of tires cuz 205/45 isn't covering it lol. I'm tryn to almost slam it (getn coilovers) nd want it to poke. So help me out! Lol
xd_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #10

xDTool
Full Access Member

what offset on the wheels?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #11

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

alright different question. what would be the point of having a staggered stance, for example 17x7 in front and 17x8 rear? is it all for looks or is there some specific reason to do it on our cars such as wheel well depths and performance?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

xDTool
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
alright different question. what would be the point of having a staggered stance, for example 17x7 in front and 17x8 rear? is it all for looks or is there some specific reason to do it on our cars such as wheel well depths and performance?
Staggered stance with the rear being larger has no real benefits for a FWD car. mostly just looks. the point of staggered stance on RWD cars are better straight line traction, reduced oversteer tendencies, and less oversteer power (for high hp cars).

staggering with larger tires in the front (becoming popular in japan) on FWD and AWD cars is for better traction up front, improve turn in, and help to an extent in limiting understeer. and in my opinion looks pretty dope!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #13

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

hmmm, curious. wonder what it would look like on our cars. naturally, i'd just swap the rims so the wider are in front, since the offsets are the same. possible volks with 35 offset.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #14

x2cafn8dx
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: 2cafn8d
Send a message via AIM to x2cafn8dx Send a message via Yahoo to x2cafn8dx
i run 18 x 8.. no clue what the offset is.. we called the company and they said they would fit. lol. If i turn too hard with a passenger in the front or hit a bump hard i hit the plastic fender liner.. but i'm also lowered a good 2" too
x2cafn8dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #15

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

well i made my decision, and hoping at least the deal goes through today. 4 brand new rims for 450$ sounds mighty nice to me. 17x7 with 40 offset.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #16

xDTool
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by x2cafn8dx View Post
i run 18 x 8.. no clue what the offset is.. we called the company and they said they would fit. lol. If i turn too hard with a passenger in the front or hit a bump hard i hit the plastic fender liner.. but i'm also lowered a good 2" too
lol, had to cut out a small area of my plastic fender liner to stop straight rubbing, and when my wheels are turned my wheel gap is tight enough to hold a credit card in place.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #17

x2cafn8dx
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: 2cafn8d
Send a message via AIM to x2cafn8dx Send a message via Yahoo to x2cafn8dx
Originally Posted by xDTool View Post
lol, had to cut out a small area of my plastic fender liner to stop straight rubbing, and when my wheels are turned my wheel gap is tight enough to hold a credit card in place.

LOL! mine is pretty tight too. I still have lowering room with the coilovers.. but i highly doubt i will lower anymore for daily use
x2cafn8dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #18

xDTool
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by x2cafn8dx View Post
LOL! mine is pretty tight too. I still have lowering room with the coilovers.. but i highly doubt i will lower anymore for daily use
Im just upset there is no real lowering potential for the rear. Im riding without perches on my rear and still not satisfied