Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #61
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Originally Posted by KylexD View Post
Sorry for late response, I dont know alot but I know something aint right here with my springs. I still need to take a picture of them but they are green and black.
HAHA I thought you said they were red but now looking back it was Sweet that said that. Green and Black? hmph. Is it green with like a black Plastic looking wrap around part of it? If so it sounds like Tein. If you get a good look see if you see the word Tein printed on them.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #62

KylexD
Full Access Member

Name: Kyle
Yeah, im gonna get a picture of them up here. I'll have some trouble explaining this, but the thing that concerns me is that when I looked at the springs on the rear theres like 8 or 9 coils in the spring (i didnt count) anyhow.....there is only about an inch of space between the very bottom coil and all the coils above it are "compressed", so basically about a inch of room left for the spring to move. Isnt this bad?
KylexD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #63

firstkingofbeer
Full Access Member

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
dude if you do have teins then you dont need to worry, they put tons of r&d into them. they are safe. if you dont like the ride or are still concerned about safety get rid of them. easy money cause lots of people are looking for them cheap. if you decide to keep them the only thing they might cause is premature strut wear.
firstkingofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #64

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
if the previous owner put on teins and didn't cut the bumpstops on the struts, this could be your rough ride factor....granted teins arent the smoothest ride on stock shocks/struts to begin with.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #65

KylexD
Full Access Member

Heres the springs. Two of the rear, and one of the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0161.jpg (92.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0162.jpg (91.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0166.jpg (97.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #66

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
teins for sure. and they look rather new too. ill take a look at mine tomorrow to see how they compare in terms of compression.
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #67

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
They look like Teins, but im not sure. You don't look low enough. And mine have a black tape wrapped around the coil. They also have Tein printed on them. I could be wrong though. Like I said, they look like Teins but I would think you would be lower.

Last edited by 1sweetxd; 01-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.
1sweetxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #68

KylexD
Full Access Member

Thats what I was thinking, as far as the website goes theres one set of springs tein makes for the '10 XD, and its a 2.2 drop, I knew my car was lowered....but not that much. I guess im kind of getting a little used to the ride, its not bad as far as turning and all, I just take bumps hard, and I hate that. And I also swear I can hear a little squeaking from them, the back left one for sure cause it does it when i push down on the car.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #69

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

You're right about the 2.2 drop. As far as I know, the Teins fit 08-11. I didn't notice Tein printed on ur springs. I just got down and checked mine and it's pretty plain to see the Tein printed on them. I know it can vary from car to car, but I have virtually no gap on my stock wheels and tires. Looks like you still have some. I personally haven't looked into many other brands for appearance. But if those are Teins, I would think something is a lil different than mine.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #70

KylexD
Full Access Member

Yeah, I would like to find out for sure what they are, so I could look them up, and see the specs and all.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #71
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

I haven't had springs ever on these cars other than stock but I didn't think the coils should be sitting on each other in the middle at stand still like they are. But Again I never had aftermarket springs on the xD.

Also your noise in the back I know what that is. Who ever put the springs in didn't take the black rubber pieces off the stock springs and put them on the aftermarket ones before installing. The rubber pieces stop the spring from rubbing and making noise.

Here is what I would do. Take the back springs out. at least the one on the driver side. Look at it and see if it says Tein on it printed in white letters NOTa sticker. If it is, replace it with Tein facing the correct way, meaning not upside down. and see what that does. It almost seems the Spring is in upside down. This can affect the ride and height

This is more how it should look in the back:

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Also need to make sure the put right springs on right end of car. That can affect height and ride as well. But based on pics it looks like they are on the right side. But since I am not there in person I can't say for sure.

Last edited by Resolve; 01-03-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #72

KylexD
Full Access Member

Ok, so i've got a little work to do. As for taking it out....I dont have to remove the tire, just jack it up right? Will I need any tools? I really want to figure out what kind they are.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #73

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

well, to take the back springs out, you wont need to take the wheel off. you can get it off with a socket wrench, maybe an open end, and a couple jacks. or one jack and some jack stands.

literally, you could have the back spring out in 5 minutes.

google a how to or something if you want pics. thats what i did

jack up the rear of the car and put it on stands (if you have them) if not, use a second jack or the one you have to lift up the bottom of the shock to compress it. undo the bolt at the bottom of the shock and then slowly lower it down. that should release everything and the spring should drop out.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #74
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

BEST DONE WITH HELP.

Undo and remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock with car on ground. Jack up the rear of the car so it's high enough to pull out springs but low enough that the springs don't just fall out (or jack it up until they fall out the lower it back down a little bit). This is very helpful if doing it alone explain more in a sec. Once jacked up put it on stands (if you have them and highly recommended most auto places sell them for about $20 for a pair. Or if you have flea market new yew check there if they have a tool booth normally get a set for around $10 to $15. Little money spent for added protection and possible life saving devices.)

OK if you have two people have one person get under car and ready to pull springs out while second person pushes on tire enough to allow springs to be removed. It may take a little work depending on how far down the tire can be pushed. If tire hits before springs come out have the second person put jack under car and jack little increaments and the push down on tire until the spring comes out. Due to it being aftermarket you shouldn't need car to high. To reinstall have person push back down on tire while the spring is replaced. If the car was originally jacked high enough for the spring to fall out the put spring on bottom spring cup and then lay near rear bumper, but not under as helper lowers the vehicle slowly. once the upper spring cup nipple is touching spring lower it just a little bit more and then get under car and have helper push down on tire. Once the Spring is in place just lower it all the way.

If alone, then as stated jack car high enough for spring to come loose without falling out. It may take a little more force to pull the spring out since no one will be pushing on tire. If it it too tight to pull out use jack as mentioned above and lift car in small incraments until you can pull it out using a little force. This is why I mentioned only raise it up a little without it falling out. If you are alone it is a PITA if the spring keeps falling while trying to lower it if you raised the car to high. But if it is just low enough you will need a little force to get the spring in and out, but the upper spring cup nipple will hold the spring in place once it is back in and keep it from falling out so you can slide out from under the car and lower it.

Once the car is on the ground the you can use your hand to compress the shock enough to sit back in the shock mount and put the bolt back into it. It Takes some force but not alot and it will slowly compress.

Hope this helps. Once you get under there and start or even just look at it you will see how I am describing things.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #75

KylexD
Full Access Member

Ok, will do. Probably this weekend cause I will wait for a friend to help me. And then we will see whats up.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #76

KylexD
Full Access Member

Ok, I posted this up in the scikotics forum as well, and one guy was pretty sure they are teins. And he also gave me a link, I will post it next.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13256412490432

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

There is the link, and if in fact those are the springs, which they look like it....then I might as well keep them, they are pricey. I just want to be sure they are installed correctly.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #77
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

When you pull them off just check to see if they have the word TEIN printed on them. If they have a sticker that says TEIN then you will need to get new springs as soon as possible. I haven't heard of it lately but there were some people making knock off Tein springs for the first gen xB a few years ago and the had a sticker that said Tein on the but the springs started failing. Tein prints their name on the spring not sticker. JUST FYI

Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #78

KylexD
Full Access Member

Well in that case....I will definitely be taking one of the rear springs off to look at it. And if everything checks out, do you think I should keep them? What about Tanabe's?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #79
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

As for the Fake Teins I don't remember ever hearing about them for the xD. SO you should be good there. They are most likely real Teins.

I would keep the Teins if you have them just make sure they are in correctly.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #80

KylexD
Full Access Member

Ok, sounds good. I will pull one out to check it. As for them being installed properly, can I reference the Tein site to see the install procedure?