Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
mccallions

Name: Jack
Default New xD-Navigation worth it?
I'm getting an xD and wondered if people were happy with the Navigation. My wife's car has an integrated Kenwood navigation/xm radio tuner/cd/ipod player. It's the top of the line Kenwood unit and has great reviews on line, but we all hate it! It has tons of tiny little buttons that are difficult to use while driving, you lose your navigation map any time you change stations or ipod songs. It's very difficult to use the audio functions while driving, especially at night.

I prefer the built in navigation systems where there are separate volume and station control buttons that are not part of the navigation, and of course since it's integrated into the car it has those convenient steering wheel controls for volume and stations.

It seems to me that the xD's nav is more like the aftermarket units: all of the audio and nav functions are in the single unit. Can anyone who's used it give an opinion?
mccallions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
MoFaux

Name: Mo
I'm not sure if it is the same unit you are looking at but I have the RS 2.0 which came with the integrated navigation unit. All things considered it works pretty nicely. I swore I would never get a GPS (I'm a paper map sorta person), but since I have had it, I've found it pretty helpful a couple times.

The system is very easy to use. If you want to change the radio station or switch function you will lose the map, but there is a dedicated button that you can press which will bring you right back to the map so it will take more button presses to change the station/function than it will to get your map back up.

The only annoying thing I have found is the amount of talking the GPS lady does. If there was a way I could have less notifications from here I would be perfectly happy with the system, but as it is she talks too much, so I mostly use the map as a general reference and not so much for turn by turn directions.
MoFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

Luc1f3r
Full Access Member

Name: Luci
Send a message via AIM to Luc1f3r
not the same unit.

buy an aftermarket nav unit.

My RS1.0 xD is for sale!

Luc1f3r is offline   Reply With Quote