Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > General Discussion

General Discussion Discuss anything in general with your Scion xD here.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Thumbs up Spent some time in a Veloster today.
Car is fun to drive and the engine is fairly quiet for having to rev so much. The six speed dual clutch transmission is awesome and with no torque converter you don't have the annoying sponge like performance you normally see with an automatic. Back seats like the xD were kinda tight but OK for a smaller frame adults. 7 inch screen is standard along with two fuel economy coaching games and photo/video playback capability. Add this with the ability to sticker at 38-40 MPG highway I think Hyundai has a real winner on their hands. With cars like the Veloster, Ford Fiesta, redesigned Soul, and the new Chevrolet Sonic it is becoming harder and harder to take Scion seriously.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
C4W22

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 View Post
Car is fun to drive and the engine is fairly quiet for having to rev so much. The six speed dual clutch transmission is awesome and with no torque converter you don't have the annoying sponge like performance you normally see with an automatic. Back seats like the xD were kinda tight but OK for a smaller frame adults. 7 inch screen is standard along with two fuel economy coaching games and photo/video playback capability. Add this with the ability to sticker at 38-40 MPG highway I think Hyundai has a real winner on their hands. With cars like the Veloster, Ford Fiesta, redesigned Soul, and the new Chevrolet Sonic it is becoming harder and harder to take Scion seriously.
Don't know what you're talking about man....Scion IS Toyota, and will always have great engineering, parts, and customer service to fall back on. Hyundai and Kia are a joke in those departments. Yea, it may look like they're stepping up their game lately, but it's seriously a facade... You can paint a piece of shit gold, but it's still a piece of shit. Rome wasn't built in a night, but Kia and Hyundai are sure trying to make it look like it can be.

I would much rather have the XD than those listed cars, other than the Sonic, because I'm a Chevy man myself.
C4W22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
If I heard correctly, the sonic is also turbocharged

Old 10-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #4

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
Sonic = Aveo which is sit painted Gold. Gencoupe is still the clear winner in the hot coupe category. Yea, I've seen more Velosters in a week than I have tC2's the whole summer here. Scion has allowed itself to become as boring as a Camry. I need to roll some heads with them and get the iQ under the Toyota name, Bring back the bB, get the FT the tC2 engine with high compression ( not that lump of coal flat four).
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
C4W22

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Sonic = Aveo which is sit painted Gold. Gencoupe is still the clear winner in the hot coupe category. Yea, I've seen more Velosters in a week than I have tC2's the whole summer here. Scion has allowed itself to become as boring as a Camry. I need to roll some heads with them and get the iQ under the Toyota name, Bring back the bB, get the FT the tC2 engine with high compression ( not that lump of coal flat four).
Sonic has some MAJOR ups on the Aveo....but yes...it's still an Aveo.

and yea, the bB looked dope as hell, and I'm not even a fan of the body style of vehicles like that.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

as i said...Gencoupe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVGVcrWbGsc
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Originally Posted by C4W22 View Post
Sonic has some MAJOR ups on the Aveo....but yes...it's still an Aveo.
Nope. The Sonic fits into the same slot as the leaving Aveo but the Sonic does not share anything with the outgoing platform.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Originally Posted by xd_kidd View Post
If I heard correctly, the sonic is also turbocharged
Yes, it is a 1.4L F/I engine that is setup for economy and not performance.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Originally Posted by C4W22 View Post
Don't know what you're talking about man....Scion IS Toyota, and will always have great engineering, parts, and customer service to fall back on. Hyundai and Kia are a joke in those departments. Yea, it may look like they're stepping up their game lately, but it's seriously a facade... You can paint a piece of shit gold, but it's still a piece of shit. Rome wasn't built in a night, but Kia and Hyundai are sure trying to make it look like it can be.

I would much rather have the XD than those listed cars, other than the Sonic, because I'm a Chevy man myself.
No shit Scion is Toyota we all know that. Toyota has a habit of letting certain product lines sit out for a while and becoming outdated. The most glaring example of this is the Corolla which has become a joke of a car. Toyota sits on their hands while this once iconic car is left in the dust by the competition then when it comes time to actually upgrade the Corolla all the company does is tweak the front and rear fascia and that is it. When I purchased my xD in 2009 it was one of the best cars in it's class (tied with the Fit IMO) but now with the 2012 models starting to roll out it is time for Toyota to upgrade this thing. I do enjoy my car but if I was buying a new car now I doubt I would even test drive the xD. Toyota is doing same thing that almost killed off GM, they are getting to complacent and think people will just buy their vehicles because of the badge on the hood. Both Kia and Hyundai have always made decent throw away cars that if properly maintained would last a while. Now they are spending money and actually improving their vehicle line up and it is showing in new models. I would have no problem comparing a 2012 Hyundai model to its Toyota counter part.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

if your a Chevy guy, then you don't want a Daewoo.....I mean Chevy Sonic. THe Corolla has become the economy Camry these days. I bet they would make a killing if they started to sell what they have in Japan here. Like the Wish or Crown Athelete. Just dump the still goofy Sienna for the Estima. I obvious people want something a little more cutting edge to look at. Korea is really pushing the design limit and stealing Mazda's thunder stealing their designs too.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
C4W22

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
if your a Chevy guy, then you don't want a Daewoo.....I mean Chevy Sonic. THe Corolla has become the economy Camry these days. I bet they would make a killing if they started to sell what they have in Japan here. Like the Wish or Crown Athelete. Just dump the still goofy Sienna for the Estima. I obvious people want something a little more cutting edge to look at. Korea is really pushing the design limit and stealing Mazda's thunder stealing their designs too.
I'll agree with that....still a facade imo. and Mazda is becoming an afterthought to the average consumer :/.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

turning into Isuzu. haha. On another note

http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai...oit-auto-show/
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
C4W22

I would have no problem comparing a 2012 Hyundai model to its Toyota counter part.
Didn't see your post until now.

I would. Haven't seen a Toyota come through the shop with less than 1,000 miles and a knock sensor that's failed twice, even after "repair" (New Veracruz, starting at ~$30,000). Granted I'm a mobile electronics installer, not a mechanic, but I get to see enough of these cars, inside and out to know they're still a joke. Based upon personal experience I wouldn't gamble with one just yet, but you can go ahead and let me know how it goes first