Go Back   Scion XD Forum > Members Hangout > Off Topic

Off Topic The free for all. Only rules are to be respectful and work appropriate when posting.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
XDC

Name: Scibor
Default Mazda3 Skyactiv
Hello,

Last night I traded my Mazda5 micro-van in for a new Mazda3 Hatchback with the Skyactiv powertrain. It has a six speed auto transmission and drives very smooth. I did this because of the promised fuel economy I should get from the Mazda3, as I was getting about 20mpg around town with the Mazda5. We still have our Scion XD of course, and will until the end, but I like the sporty nature of Mazda vehicles so I stayed with the brand again. I actually narrowed my choices down to the Mazda3 or a Scion iQ, completely different vehicles I know, but both are very fuel effecient and affordable. I test drove the iQ twice, but I just could not appreciate the ammount of road noise and lack of interior storage (no glove box, no...anything really) like many others have. Really cool car that iQ, but not for me, as much as I wanted to be an all Scion household.
XDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
iQs don't have a glove box on the dash, but they have a storage tray under the passenger seat to replace the glove box.

But good choice on the Mazda 3

Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Whack-A-Mole
Full Access Member

Name: Thadeus
Mazda Skyactive is pretty neat. The gas version is really high compression like 14/1. I like the diesel they're cOming out with more though. Great pick.
Whack-A-Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
Excellent choice on the Mazda..sad to see the company is in so much trouble financial wise. As for the iQ I could never own own as I travel on the interstate way to much.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
XDC

My wife has since taken over the Mazda3, and I have the Scion XD now. I am very happy to drive the XD, I just had to remove the Hello Kitty stickers and I was good to go. I think the XD is a blast to drive. My wife absolutely loves the Mazda3 Skyactiv powertrain, the tight turning radius, spot on sporty steering, and she is currently getting exactly the same MPG's doing 100% city driving as we get from the XD. The Mazda3 feels so solid, especially on the freeway at speed, very smooth. We got the Moonroof and Bose package, and it rocks.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
XDC

Now that we have had the Mazda3 Skyactiv for a few months, I have a better sense of the true MPG's. We are averaging 29.8 with the Mazda and 28.8 with the XD. Same commute, weather, roads...etc. We have gotten just over 39 mpg with the Mazda on freeway trips, and 36 with the XD. Very respectable figures for both cars. They ride on the exact same tires, Yokohama YK580 205/55/16. XD gets 34psi, Mazda gets 36psi all around.