Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Name: Chris
Default 17x10. is it possible?
so i have my coilovers and now its wheel shopping time. i see every so often that people think 10in wide wheels would fit, and i guess im curious if its doable. i know someone has done 17x9.5 +30 on front and back so in theory just tweak the offset and it will work. if anything then maybe a staggered setup? most of the 17's im looking at come in x8.5 and then x10, so i wanted to see if it was at all feasible, and yet still looks good.

discuss!
ThisorThatxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

xd_kidd
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: chris
When u find a set a wheels like those. Let me kno. I'll make it work lol

Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
With right ride height, tire combo and offset I would say yes.

Bob was running the 17 x 9.5 Sawblades with 25mm adaptors. With the stock offset being around +56mm you calculate the adaptors 25mm you are looking as about a +30/31mm offset. So I would say a 17 x 10 should be doable with the same or maybe slight change in overall offset.. You just want to make sure that your new rim isn't rubbing the strut and the fender due to the width. That .5 inch may make a difference on how well it will fit and how low you can go.

Last edited by Resolve; 12-21-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

makes sense. and yea my biggest worry is lack of space between the wheel and the struts. fenders can be rolled lol. i think the rear will have the space but up front it would be tight. anyone with wider wheels on now know how much room they have between the wheel and strut?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
go to the "lets see pics of your xd" thread. check out the last page if you havent already. xdking has a set up running 17x9 on front and back with hella tire stretch. im sure if he can make that work with them sticking out soo much, it wouldnt be too much more to make a 17x10 fit

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

those are some crazy offsets. thats it though, as the 17x10's are +30, so more wheel goes back into the wheel well, right? i know i want poke but not something that looks stupid lol. pushing the offset out too much would just look silly. xdking's is nice though for sure.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #7

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
holy cow i havnt been here in ages

you can fit 10-11 pretty easy in the rear, we have huge fender wells.

at 9.5 +30 i had slight poke on the wheel and a couple of inches of space inside of the wheel well. will just take a fender roll, no serious modification or anything. youd use a +35 to +40 range on the offset.

fronts on the other hand..... with 9.5 +30 i had slight poke and not much more than 1/2" to an inch of space left on the suspension side.

in theory you should be able to fit a 10 up front but youre measurements are gonna have to be dead on. or you'll have some heavy poke and require front fender work, or you'll have issues clearing suspension. also keep in mind that was with coilovers. stock spring/strut assembly is a bit bulkier and would probably make the fronts even harder to fit if youre just running drop springs.

xbjames on scionlife was saying he just started running a 9.5/10.5" stagger on his xD
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

looks like a test fit is in order then. its comforting to know we at least have enough space in back so buying one for testing wont bother me so bad. now i just want to make sure i buy the right one. the wheels im looking hardest at come in +20 or +30 so that may be another issue. now you have me thinking about the amount of poke, up front more-so than back. ill also be on coilovers by the time this is all being done so that will help. ah the fun of pushing limits.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

xDTool
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ThisorThatxD View Post
looks like a test fit is in order then. its comforting to know we at least have enough space in back so buying one for testing wont bother me so bad. now i just want to make sure i buy the right one. the wheels im looking hardest at come in +20 or +30 so that may be another issue. now you have me thinking about the amount of poke, up front more-so than back. ill also be on coilovers by the time this is all being done so that will help. ah the fun of pushing limits.
+30. +30 on a 10" wheel will put you 1/4" further out and 1/4" closer to the suspension. if you can buy just 1 to test fit, it'll get you something that will definitly fit in the rear. and with a 2nd thought, i think it'll fit up front too.

I strongly suggest you to stick with the same size tires as what im running on the 9.5s if you can, which was 215/45/17, at most you may run a 225,otherwise you will have some rubbing issues to combat as well.

to give you an idea on how my final fitment on the 9.5s were at 31mms (think an extra 1/4" of poke on the +30 10s):

Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #10

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

judging by that logic i think thats all acceptable and will look good after the appropriate fender work. might need to find some camber solutions. as for tires i was looking into 215/40 but 215/45 looks good too (via tyrestretch.com). ill have to cross that bridge as it comes. how was your rubbing on turns at full lock, if you made it that far lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #11

xDTool
Full Access Member

judging by that logic i think thats all acceptable and will look good after the appropriate fender work. might need to find some camber solutions. as for tires i was looking into 215/40 but 215/45 looks good too (via tyrestretch.com). ill have to cross that bridge as it comes. how was your rubbing on turns at full lock, if you made it that far lol.
i had zero rubbing from the front, had rubbing on the back on hard bumps til i got my fenders rolled
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Bob to the rescue with the word on the wheels.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #13

ThisorThatxD
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
Bob to the rescue with the word on the wheels.
hah isnt that the truth. and he doesnt even own one anymore. im looking forward to my test fits.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #14

xDTool
Full Access Member

hah isnt that the truth. and he doesnt even own one anymore. im looking forward to my test fits.
not hard to remember :P , and i'm not rusty. my new car is lower and better fitted than my scion was hehehehehe.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #15

1sweetxd
Full Access Member

Name: Evan
since im kinda out of the loop on offsets and everything.....if ya'll are saying that 9.5 and 10" widths should work with the correct offset, then i would assume that a 17x9 with a +25 offset should have no major problems with fitment right? i'm sure the back would have no issues. i'm just possibly concerned that the front would rub since my 18x7.5 rub sometimes. but also, i dont have any offset on these wheels. just how they came.

i'm running on Tein S-Techs so i'm not as low as coilovers. i'm just really wanting to make sure that this wheel size would work before i start working on a plan to get them.