Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
Default suspension "tuning"
this is for a sort of discussion( tho I know it will be short) about the quirky suspension on our cars. now that I have been driving this car for a couple yars and have been on fresh tires for a few weeks. I have been noticing a weird handling characteristic. getting into a corner, the car will give a brief understeer sesnstion and then turn sharply. I have been condisering getting the microimage swaybar( 23mm) but this turning attitude sota freaks me out and I wonder what the car will do if this continues with teh sway bar. weel, I would assume a spin would happen

any "professional" thoughts?
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #2

TexXBox
Full Access Member

Name: Steve
Have you checked your tire pressures? If they are too low the tire can lag behind the steering input and make the car kind of lurch as the sidewalls flex and then stabilize to turn the car. Newer tires are typically designed to run higher pressures than the vehicle manufacturer recommends. The tire guys are after performance and life, while the vehicle manufacturers are after that "Boulevard Ride".

The sway bar would take some of the "slack" out of the suspension and should cause things to react quicker. Generally they should help, not hurt. On their own, a bigger front sway bar will add a degree of understeer to a car, while a bigger rear sway bar will add a degree of oversteer. That is why most cars only have a puny rear sway bar if they have one at all. Understeer is MUCH safer than oversteer.

How many miles on your ride? It might be reasonable to give the suspension a good looking over to make sure something isn't worn or loose.

Last edited by TexXBox; 10-22-2010 at 09:39 PM.
TexXBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #3

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
i have 15K or so on the car. it's an 08. I understand the basics of suspension setup. My last car was built for autocrossing and it never made it to the track. I bought an xB1 and that was the end of the track car. role reversal happened. Tires are Kumho and they have worn thru to the sticky rubber already. I may end up getting the sway bar anyway. bbuuuutttt, I have two cars wanting to get modified.....oh what to do!
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote