Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #1

bobolinko
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Default Cigarette Lighter 12v Power
It always bugged me that the power socket was dead with the key off.
Now it's not !

What you need:
3 lengths of 18ga stranded insulated wire. (different colors make wiring a little easier)

1 Miniature (or larger) SPDT bat handle toggle switch switch.
SPDT = Single Pole Double Throw (on-off-on or on-on)There are many types of SPDT switches, and some have a middle-off position too. That would allow you to even have the power to the socket turned off till you wanted it powered. The switch on either position other than the middle would have the socket powered. One side with the key on, and the other position all the time.

Here's what you do:

Remove the center console (2 screws and 1 #10 bolt) and get to the Cigarette lighter socket wiring. The little flap pops open to gain access.

I wiggled the socket out of the waterfall mounting, and disconnected the connector plug attachment. cut the gray wire about 4 inches away from the connector and trimmed back the plastic insulating tube that the wire is in to expose more of the other cut end of the wire to make connections easier.

Here are the connections I made:

Outer Terminal ======> to the gray wire that is the Original power connection (that I cut)

Inner Terminal ======> to the gray wire that goes to the ligher socket that I cut.

Outer Terminal ======> to a 12v "always on" power source. I used the thick black wire in the fusebox with a tap connector for this.

Now I can charge my handheld devices without having the key on/engine running. It would be simpler to pre-wire the switch before you install it wherever you want it mounted. Just make sure you leave enough wire to reach the corresponding connections.

It took me less than 30 minutes to get this done. Really, it ain't hard.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Nice mod! that can come in real handy!!

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote