Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Name: Jesse
Default Intermittent rear wiper mod
So... I think we can all agree that the rear wiper doesn't need to be constant, right? I'm thinking it should be on a timer to that it wipes every 10-20 seconds... if that. So, I was looking at the wiring diagram for the rear wiper and it is pretty simple. The switch just grounds it to make it run. There's a 15 amp fuse that feeds it. I'm betting there's an easy way to put a timer relay of some sort inline with it. Any thoughts?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

A google search turned up numerous intermittent wiper kits for $10-$20. The one I'm looking at right now has 3 to 30 second delay.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #2

Luc1f3r
Full Access Member

Name: Luci
Send a message via AIM to Luc1f3r
i took mine off the day i got the car :shrug: and if you have the pedestal spoiler it blocks all water anyway and you would never need the wiper anyway... but get the timer and post up details, it might be fun to have for other 12v projects... (you could prolly use a hazard flasher also...)

My RS1.0 xD is for sale!

Luc1f3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
I still get alot of water on the rear window, even with the the spoiler, couldn't be that I live in Washington, lol. An intermittent wiper idea is cool, but I just hit it once in a while, doesn't clear much of the window anyway. I would like to see it done, a mod is a mod and I'm sure not many people have thought of this, as Luci said, most do the delete mod.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
Originally Posted by Luc1f3r View Post
...if you have the pedestal spoiler it blocks all water anyway and you would never need the wiper anyway...
Well, in my case that's not true at all, I have the larger spoiler installed on my xD, and it does nothing to divert any water and dust from the rear of the car - the air just swirls around behind the car and deposits all kinds of dirt on the rear hatch very quickly. I have to constantly clean the rear hatch and window of dirt, it is the quickest area to get dirty on the car - all I have to do is drive a couple of miles after I wash my car and the rear hatch and window already have a fine coating of dust. This is especially extreme in the winter time, as Pennsylvania roads are always plastered with road salt, so the back window gets filthy very quicky then... I'd love to remove my rear wiper, but I'm afraid I use it too much.

And yes the wiper is small, but the area of glass it cleans is actually about half of the window surface area, so it really isn't all that bad. the wiper has to be that small because the rear window is very low in height...

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 08-12-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
I wish their was way to just slow the rate that the rear wiper sweeps. It sweeps at such a high rate that even in the hardest downpour the wiper ends up skipping over dry glass.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Cylon, you're exactly right. That's why hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs often have rear wipers, while sedans do not -- dirt and water collect on the back due to the aerodynamics of a flat(er) back end.

My Golf had two speeds for the rear... just one setting (intermittent), but it would run slow at low speeds and at a higher rate when the car was going faster. Even so, it still wiped too often for me. I was driving in some really hard rain today, and I figured that once every 20-30 seconds would be fine.

I think I'll order one... it's less than $20.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #7

ibeDAMD
Full Access Member

Name: TL
Whats a rear wiper??

Im with Luci, mine was taken off within the week i got her. I never used it on my xA and besides i hate the half lookin moon it makes back there.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
mcbrew
Full Access Member

Yeah, I know what you mean about the half moon... but where I live, a lot of crap collects on the windows. I pretty much use my washer/wipers (on the windshield) every morning as I leave my driveway. I wish I had a garage... but I don't. Gotta park under a bunch of evil trees, birds, squirrels, etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #9

ibeDAMD
Full Access Member

Name: TL
Louisiana roads are pretty bad and dusty, i park under oak trees and get a lovely suprise in the morning but i never have anything on the back and if i do, then that means time for a wash.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
I always get a layer dust that forms on my rear window especially if I'm traveling over 60+ mph for prolonged period of time..
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #11

kappeale73

Name: test
Send a message via ICQ to kappeale73
Default Intermittent rear wiper mod
good mod if done properly, its one thing the x utes are missing is decent interior storage.

on that ute id be wanting to see under the carpet to see how well its been done.
kappeale73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #12

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
Huh?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #13

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
i don;t have the lip spoiler. my back window( or rear of car) doesn't get too dusty. now the xB on the other hand. since it's autumn, I watch the leaves in the rearview swirling around while I;m out and about. kinda funny....
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote