Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Exterior

Exterior Comments and questions regarding body kits, graphics, paint or other exterior mods.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

brodie7838

Name: Brodie
Default Whistling Noise on Driver Side Over 55mph?
Has anyone else noticed a very high pitched whistling noise coming from between the driver side mirror and the car frame over 55mph?

I only notice it when the driver window is rolled down. If I put my hand out the window in a way that obstructs or changes the airflow through that spot between the driver mirror and the door/frame it stops.

I suppose I could tape something there...
brodie7838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
katchkillah
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Kory
is that what it is? lol i heard it too but then i've switched out things and put on things so i assumed my visors, side view mirror or something else i swapped/added on was acting up.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #3

brodie7838

Yep it's the driver side mirror. At least I know I'm not the only one now
Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

xDizzle
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Kevin
me too omg i hate that noise!!
xDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Its only on the driver side and not the passenger side?
I dont think that is possible... seeing as how the left and right side of the xD is symmetrical... but I dont know for certain... I dont get this whistling noise at all....

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #6

brodie7838

I've never heard it from the passenger side, but I never sit on that side when I'm driving I'll have to ask the next time I have a passenger.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #7

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

hmmm.... Odd....

Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Chinkylulu

Name: Jenny
i have it too! I thought my window was open, so then i checked, and then i was like, whats wrong with my car!??!? lol how can we fix the noise?
Chinkylulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #9

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: jim
yup. it's there. funny detail the seems to have been overlooked by Toyota R&D. know what does it? it's the seam of the two halves of the side mirror. lay tape over it and I bet it goes away
JDMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

brodie7838

Originally Posted by TheLittleDeviant View Post
Its only on the driver side and not the passenger side?
I dont think that is possible... seeing as how the left and right side of the xD is symmetrical... but I dont know for certain... I dont get this whistling noise at all....
Well, I checked and I don't hear anything from the passenger's side. You're right, it doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #11

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by brodie7838 View Post
Well, I checked and I don't hear anything from the passenger's side. You're right, it doesn't make any sense.
Do you have an intake on the xD? High RPM's with an intake makes a whistling noise on the xD. if your certain its coming from the side view, try throwing some tape across the opening and going for a drive, see if its still doing it, maybe you can play with the tape and get a higher pitched sound, LOL

Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
micojones

Name: Mico
It's happening to my car too, and only on the drivers side. I just bought my car, so I don't want to put some gnarly looking tape to disturb the air flow. Has anyone tried anything else to stop the noise?
micojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
I haven't noticed it on the xd, but normally between the radio and exhaust I dont here much. lol. But it is not a probably with xDs to say. I have had many cars that have the weird whistling right there at the side mirror and the a pillar. mostly on compacts. My mom's Kia Rio has the same thing sometimes.

I believe it's a combination. One you think of a balloon that you open just slightly after filling up with air. You can hear the hiss of all the air trying to fit through a small opening. Well as the air tries to pass between the smaller opening between the mirror and A pillar/ door it creates this sound. And two like when you blow air across the top of a bottle opening you hear the whistling due to the movement of the air in the bottle. Well when the air pass between the mirror and window it causes the air on the mirror side to mix and turn and create a sound.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

brodie7838

My xD is still doing it, though strangely the pitch of the whistling has changed to being almost out of my range of hearing, so it's somewhat more tolerable now, plus with winter coming up I won't be rolling my window down for the next few months anyways . I still haven't figured out where exactly on the mirror is causing the issue; visually there seems to be no difference from the passenger mirror, and I can't exactly climb out there while on the freeway to mess with it

Between the whistling, the rattling in the dash, and the bluetooth module being dead in the AVIC it may be time for a visit to the dealership.

Last edited by brodie7838; 10-13-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #15

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

mine does it too still. well, I suppose it will always be there til we do something about it.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #16

brodie7838

Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
mine does it too still. well, I suppose it will always be there til we do something about it.
He's right, burning down Toyota's headquarters is the only solution.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #17

JDMJim
OG Member
Full Access Member

i find it interesting that this even was let go. so many companies spend so much time fixing these issues. I mean, even teh iQ had a sort of diffuser on the rear quarter windows. totally added on
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
iperez85

Name: iperez
Hey everyone, new to the forum and this is my first post...i am a tech over at a toyota dealership in the chicagoland area and bought my '10 xd a couple of months ago, love it, but i noticed i was having the same problem since the first day i got it and a few customer cars came into the dealer complaining about the same problem. i just used a thin piece of felt tape and put it in between the gap of where the mirror swivels at, took care of the problem.
iperez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #19

Shaggy
Administrator
Administrator

Name: Bryan
Originally Posted by iperez85 View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum and this is my first post...i am a tech over at a toyota dealership in the chicagoland area and bought my '10 xd a couple of months ago, love it, but i noticed i was having the same problem since the first day i got it and a few customer cars came into the dealer complaining about the same problem. i just used a thin piece of felt tape and put it in between the gap of where the mirror swivels at, took care of the problem.
Welcome to the and thanks for the info on the fix!
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
pakpak

Name: jane
Wink solution to the whistling noise
I have 2011 scion XD it did make the annoying whsitling noise... what i did is i took it back to the dealership before even doing anything to resolve the problem. since it is stated in the warranty that if the buyer alter anything using non original toyota parts then they are not going to be responsible about your car... so i took it back and at first they thought its the driver's side only so they replaced the whole rearview mirror in the drivers side and it did solve the problem... after they fixed it i took it for a test drive then i notice that the passenger side is also making a noise over 65 mph i took it back again and they've replace the back plate of my passenger side rearview mirror. My advice is if your car is still in warranty don't alter anything or even put a single tape on your car rearview mirror... TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP and COMPLAIN... we paid 15k for it. take advantage of the warranty you paid for it. HOPE IT HELPED and english is not my first langauage so bare with my grammar.
pakpak is offline   Reply With Quote