Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Exterior

Exterior Comments and questions regarding body kits, graphics, paint or other exterior mods.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
SJMiller

Name: SJMiller
Default xD Fog Light Mod
After a lot of hours of surfing the web & checking out everything I could find regarding a set of Fog Lights for my 2011 xD. I would have strongly preferred an OEM fit kit, but since that is not possible any longer. I finally took the time to custom install a set.

Ordered a Winjet WJ30-0073-12 fog light kit for a 2006-2008 Toyota Yaris 3Dr. Naturally it is not a direct fit, so I had to make some modifications to the xD in order to get it to work/fit.

Steps:
01. Removed the bumper cover & disconnect the battery.
02. Unclipped the black hole covers where the fog lights would be mounted.
03. Used a 3.75" hole saw to cut a round hole in the black hole covers. (Used the kit box to hold the black hoke covers so I could drill the hole with the hole saw.)
04. Used a sharp razor knife to slowly customer fit the black hole covers because the Yaris kit lamp housings are just slightly oval. Also had to use the razor knife to remove a little of the back of the bumper cover so I could get the lamp housing to fit flush.
05. Then drilled some small bolt holes through the front of the bumper cover to insert 3 bolts which I mounted to the bumper cover with epoxy.
06. Replaced the black hole covers & mounted the lamp housings using the 3 bolts I had epoxied in place.
07. Put a tiny bit of black silicone around the lamp lens where they protrude thought the black hole covers.
08. Installed the fog light wiring harness, connect the wiring kit ground wire & wire tied the harness in place.
09. Used an add a fuse to the under hood fuse box on the EFI fuse & used it to supply the power to the wiring kit & fished the power wire & the wiring harness through the fender & into the cabin via the door wiring rubber grommet. This means the fog lights can be on any time the ignition switch is on. It was also the easiest fuse in the box to add a fuse & not cover any other fuse in the process. (Worked out great).
10. The Yaris switch (in this kit) will not fit in any of the xD's switch blanks. I thought about using another switch, but the wiring harness would have required reworking & I wasn't willing to do it.

Removed the lower dash covers & left cubby bin & found the location I wanted to put the fog light switch near the left side of dash switches. Checked to make sure there was plenty of room behind the location so I wouldn't be cutting into anything and that there would be room for the fog light switch and wiring harness. Then I made a thin cardboard template for the switch & used clear Gorilla packing tape to the dash (I couldn't find any other tape that would stick to the xD's dimpled dash where I wanted the switch) & covered that with wide blue painter's tape & used the template to mark on the painter's tape the location to cut the dash so I could install the switch. I drilled 4 small holes in the corners of the template markings. Then I used the razor knife to slowly & carefully cut the dash so the switch would fit. Installed the switch, connected the power wire & ground.

11. Placed the bumper cover on a mechanics creeper in front of the car & connect the fog lights. Reconnected the battery & tested everything. SUCCESS!
12. Replaced the lower dash covers & left cubby bin & reinstalled the bumper cover. Again tested everything.

The Winjet WJ30-0073-12 fog light kit for a 2006-2008 Toyota Yaris 3Dr cost $44.92 on Amazon. I especially wanted yellow lens, so this was the right kit for me. Winjet's supplied wiring instructions were not the right ones for the wiring harness they shipped me, but when I asked them for the correct set they sent me a URL for a wiring harness that was similar. When I searched on the internet I could find hits for similar kits, but none that were an exact match, but with a little common sense it wasn't too hard to figure out. Still would have preferred a set of instructions that matched exactly the wiring harness supplied.

It took me about 4 hours total. Could have been done quicker, but I was going slow so I could think things through & be careful. Wasn't too hard, but there were several places things could have gone badly - Thank God, they did not.

The fog lights look great (IMHO) & work just like OEM - except for the fact they can be on anytime the ignition is on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5621.jpg (79.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5625.jpg (85.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5844.jpg (68.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5835.jpg (54.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5839.jpg (45.3 KB, 13 views)
SJMiller is offline   Reply With Quote