Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Suspension

Suspension Wheels, tires, springs/coilovers, or any other suspension and handling related topics and questions.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

rhino74s
Murdered Deviant
Full Access Member

Name: Ryan
Default Drop stats / reviews
Post your suspension specs and your reviews on them.

Tanabe DF210 springs:

front drop: 1.9"
rear drop: 2.2"

I've had them on since the first day I bought the xD, was my first mod.
Absolutely LOVE them!
I highly recommend the df210's for anyone that wants an aggressive drop without losing ride quality. Been running them for almost a year now and the ride is still great.

First impressions are it's reeeaaallly low compared to stock height. You'll notice significantly less body roll and the car just feels more planted to the ground.
I have the 5Axis lip kit on mine and haven't had any issues with ground clearance, as long as you are familiar with driving a lowered vehicle.
I also have 18x8" wheels with +45 offset and 225/40/18 tires with no rubbing issues, so you are safe with that setup.

Pros:
aggressive drop
excellent ride quality

Cons:
could limit wheel size/offset because it's such an aggressive drop
could have rubbing issues if installing a really large speaker setup in the back

rhino74s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

ibeDAMD
Full Access Member

Name: TL
I got the TRD springs that came with it lol. I wanna go lower, looking into getting the DF210s.
Umm tires are 225/40/18

Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
DeathMachine

Originally Posted by rhino74s View Post
Cons:
could limit wheel size/offset because it's such an aggressive drop
could have rubbing issues if installing a really large speaker setup in the back
VERY true about the speaker system. I for one have a fairly large set up, and its caused my rear springs to settle about an inch lower than the front...

But still I love the DF210's!
DeathMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #4

Shaggy
Administrator
Administrator

Name: Bryan
Originally Posted by DeathMachine View Post
VERY true about the speaker system. I for one have a fairly large set up, and its caused my rear springs to settle about an inch lower than the front...

But still I love the DF210's!
Pics!!!
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Scionizer

Name: Mike
mine came with the TRDs too...I'm sticking with them...
Scionizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

firstkingofbeer
Full Access Member

Name: Enter your name or name you wish to be refered to as.
Originally Posted by rhino74s View Post
i havent noticed any rubbing, but if i put somebody in the back seat i scrape on damn near every speed bump no matter how small or how i drive over it. but i definately love the df210 springs.
firstkingofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #7

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

I have the TRDs as well. The look with the DFs is outstanding, but my driveway is so steep and the angle so sharp, the only way to get into it is to approach it at an angle and creep in slowly. If I installed DF 210s I'd never make up my driveway without ripping off the front lip.

SciFion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Troy
hey all, I installed Progress springs on my xD just yesterday, they have pretty much the same drop as the Tanabe DF's, about 2.0"/2.2" going by my own measurements... but my front two tires are scraping the wheel well liner right at the lip, over every little dip or bump in the road... I got 18x7.5 Kitana wheels with a 45 offset, and 225/40/18 tires. Not sure what I want or can do to cut down on the rubbing, without costing me a fortune like switching to 215 wide tires...

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 06-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Cylon_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #9

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

I wonder if wheel spacers would help. I believe you have to run the proper front wheel offset to avoid rubbing without them. there is also rear wheel hub spacers which unfortunately wont help your situation, but are an interesting alternative for some applications. > http://www.penguingarage.com/HubSpacers/Spacer.html

Last edited by SciFion; 06-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #10

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Well, spacers would not work, that's going in the wrong direction... my tires are scraping the wheel well lip, so putting spacers on would just move the wheels out even further, putting the tires closer to the lip... I actually would need wheels with a higher offset number so that the wheels would be centered closer to the inside of the car...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #11

SciFion
Solar System Surfer
Full Access Member

Yeah you're right, I was thinking the inside part of the wheel well was rubbing. Curious that your car has rubbing issues with the present setup, since Ryans car is set up very similar with even wider wheels and his does not rub. I wonder if TRD springs might solve the problem. The drop is not as much and the tires might not touch.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #12

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Yes, the TRD drop is only half as much, but that's why i didn't get the TRD... sigh. I don't really want to have to buy another set of springs and go through that work all over again... ugh.

well, it's after 2am, guess I ought to hit the sack... g'night all...

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 06-10-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #13

rhino74s
Murdered Deviant
Full Access Member

Name: Ryan
That is weird!
I'm not familiar with the Progress springs specs. You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with a 225/40 tire and +45 offset.
I actually have more wheel well room up front than in the back.
hmmmm..... idk.

rhino74s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #14

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Well, Progress only gives the specs for a Yaris, I think it's 1.7"/1.8" drop, and then they just state the drop on the xD will be more because the xD is heavier... plus, my personal size doesn't help matters either, I'm over 300 lbs - it's like riding two people in my car even when I'm driving alone, haha!!!

I'll have to take some closeup pics of my wheel clearances and post them up - it's pretty tight... when I insert my finger at a 45 degree angle between the top of the wheel and the fender lip, it's a tight squeeze - about 3/4 of an inch clearance when sitting still with no one inside!

Haha, maybe I should just glue metal strips to the outside edge of my tires, so everytime they scrape the wheel well SPARKS FLY!!!

Uh, at least it'd be a cool effect for the next glow-off competition!!

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 06-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #15

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Interesting note on lowering: just got back from a car appointment, one of the things I had done was an alignment check, since I dropped the car so much... but even with dropping my xD on extra-low springs, my alignment was fine, front end was dead on and the rear just very slightly off, so no need for any alignment... I'm suprised that lowering didn't make it all out of wack...

I had gotten one of those "Sucker-you-in-to-find-things-wrong-with-your-car" cards in the mail from the tire shop I had work done before, for a bunch of free services and a $19 oil change, so I got my tires rotated, alignment check, oil changed, and brakes adjusted.. only bad thing was, the xD calls for 0-weight oil, and the lightest they had was 5w-20, but that should be ok over the summer...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
robbiej
Old Fart
Full Access Member

Name: Rob
I'd like to go a little lower, but I'm ok with the TRD's for the time being, other things I want/need first.
robbiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
gotDAMD

Im on DF210's as well and my wheels are 18x7.5 with a +35 offset and mine dont rub the wheel well.
gotDAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #18

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
I am running TRD's I have 17x8 +35et, I occationally rub on really hard bumps, but only because of my body kit... It rubs right on the edge of where the rear bumper mounts to the quarter panels...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #19

Cylon_xD
OG Member
Full Access Member

Well, if you think about it logically, the diameter of your wheels (16" 17" 18" 20") has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether the tires will rub or not, it's strictly the dimensions of your TIRES (outside diameter and width) and the OFFSET of the wheels (which determines where those tires will be located horizontally along the "axle" within the wheelwell) that are the only responsible factors...

If you put a larger wheel on your car, your going to put on lower profile tires, to keep the outside diameter of the tire as close as possible to the diameter of stock tires so your speedometer and odometer remain accurate. So no matter if your wheel is 15" or 20", the tire is still going to end up being the same diameter as the stock tire, unless you're purposely putting the wrong size tires on your new rims (which would then require a speedometer adjustment to correct the difference in tire diameter)... now of course, if you mount a wider wheel, then the tire is going to be wider, but it's still basically the overall width of the tire and not the width of the wheel that would be the cause of any rubbing issues or not...

As for offset, most aftermarket wheels already have a proper offset figured into them if they are wider than stock wheels; very few wheel models even give you a choice of different offsets anyway...

I just think some people tend to overlook these facts, worrying about whether replacing the stock 16" wheels with 18" wheels on their car will cause rubbing problems, when in really the wheel diameter has no bearing whatsoever...

Last edited by Cylon_xD; 07-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
misformartin
Full Access Member

Send a message via AIM to misformartin
IM dropped on Tanabe Coilvers and need to get some rubber on my wheels then i will mount them and take some pics wheel specs are 18 x9 rear and 18 x 8.5 front... should be pretty sick : )

Coilovers drop just over 3 inches front and 3 1/2 rear : ) and best riding coilovers i have ever driven on...
misformartin is offline   Reply With Quote