Go Back   Scion XD Forum > xD Modification > Audio/Interior Electronics

Audio/Interior Electronics Questions, tips/advice, comments and all things about car audio and other interior gagets.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #1

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Default Hiding the HID ballasts
Ok, so I installed mobileHID's and there was nowhere in the engine bay to hide these things...I like things to be clean and uncluttered...So I took off the front bumper and found some great spots to put them...Sure it takes a little longer but well worth it in the long run...

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #2

Luc1f3r
Full Access Member

Name: Luci
Send a message via AIM to Luc1f3r
i put mine under the crash pad.

My RS1.0 xD is for sale!

Luc1f3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
CL65Pilot

Name: Brad
Hey Yelosub, do you have any output pics? I'm interested in doing the same thing, but want to make sure the light cutoff is the same for the HID's as it is for the original halogens.
CL65Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Luc1f3r
Full Access Member

Name: Luci
Send a message via AIM to Luc1f3r
cutoff? its a reflector housing, there is no cutoff in a reflector housing, you just run out of light output...

My RS1.0 xD is for sale!

Luc1f3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
X2 on what Luci said. I have already had a ticket for mine. Cop pulled me over originally due to being to bright but then chenged his story to the color (I have 8000k). So was 100 ticket. I have tinted my headlights for now but still stupid bright. I adjust my ride hight at night so back is up higher than front and it is not so bad for on comers or people I am behind. I know this because I tested it with me riding in front of my wife.
Resolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
CL65Pilot

Name: Brad
Originally Posted by Luc1f3r View Post
cutoff? its a reflector housing, there is no cutoff in a reflector housing, you just run out of light output...
Well, there is an optically generated cutoff based on the position of the bulb in reference to the focal point. This is a trait indicative of the H4 bulb and our dual beam reflector lamps. My question stemmed from wanting to know whether or not the HID bulb, whose light arc is perpendicular to the halogen's, produced a similar beam pattern to minimize excessive light scatter.

There is a 'cutoff', but I use that term loosely as it is optically generated but easily identified.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
X2 on what Luci said. I have already had a ticket for mine. Cop pulled me over originally due to being to bright but then chenged his story to the color (I have 8000k). So was 100 ticket. I have tinted my headlights for now but still stupid bright. I adjust my ride hight at night so back is up higher than front and it is not so bad for on comers or people I am behind. I know this because I tested it with me riding in front of my wife.
8000K is pushing the limits of allowable color temperature, my Saab (although halogen-projector) had 4300K in it for 3 years with no problems.
CL65Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #7

YELOSUB
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Tim
Mine are bright but only been flashed once...There is obviously scatter but since there are no projectors out for our rides yet this is just gonna have to do...I could take a picture but it looks like every other post of peoples xD with HID's...I love them and so does everyone else that has seen them...I've got the the HID highs also so when I do get flashed I can give it right back to them...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by CL65Pilot View Post
8000K is pushing the limits of allowable color temperature, my Saab (although halogen-projector) had 4300K in it for 3 years with no problems.
Yeah I know I bitched about it at first right after it happened more so because he changed his story twice in the first 30 seconds of pulling me over. He claimed that i had my brights on and when I said I didn't that they were HID and he looked at me confused and then said well they are blue.. of course I said they werent and told him they were DOT approved and he doubted me and 20 minutes later I had a ticket for them being blue since in his words "After researching there are no laws stating anything about HIDs so I am giving you a ticket for them being improper color."

lol
Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #9

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
Resolve tell me you fought that...

I am running Bi-Xenon HIDS myself, and have only had one issue of some one flashing me (and yelling curse words as we passed each other) so I turned around and flipped on the high beams... lets just say he didnt like that at all, and readjusted all of his mirrors... so then I turned the highs off, just to watch him readjust every mirror again... it was priceless...

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Well set a court date for it and went in and wouldn't let me state my case was either say no contest and pay or they would set another date like a month later so they could summons the cop and then I could come in and fight it but if I lost I would have owed court cost and ticket. Lady that was presiding over that day I went was kinda rude but instead of missing another day of work and getting even more slammed with work and chancing having to pay court cost and fine I just went ahead and paid it. Was a waste of my time really. He was just being an ass cop at that time I had already passed like 3 cops on coming prior to him and he pulled off a side road in front of me and I guess light hit his mirror just right for him to complain. He also treied to tell me my tint was to dark as he gave me the ticket for the headlights but I told him it was put on by the dealership, which it was he didn't like that either. I wasn't mean or an @$$ when I said it it was just that I did have a response he couldn't fight me on. Lol
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #11

TheLittleDeviant
That Admin Guy
Full Access Member

Name: Ted
^^ man thats crappy...

sometimes they are cool but other times they can be real doinks!

TheLittleDeviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
CXTKRS1
Super Moderator
Super Mod

Name: Chris
I have 5000K for my xD, so if I get a ticket it will be because they are to bright.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #13

xDevint
Full Access Member

Name: Brian
Who has a good HID out and would you run a high and low beam or stick with a low beam HID.
xDevint is offline   Reply With Quote