View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
Resolve
OG Member
Full Access Member

Name: Resolve
Suspension is tricky as far as ride quality. There are multiple factors that play in and multiple things that can be changes to affect it.

anything less than 2" drop new shocks not needed, but ride quality will be affect more by the spring rate. To high and it will be stiff. To Low and it will be soft.

2" or more then new shocks are recommended, but not required. Cutting front bump stops are a must. With this amount of drop then shocks could play a role as well as spring rates. Also body parts could play a role. Shocks may not bottom out for most part I had a first gen with 2inch drop and stock shocks for over a year and never bottomed out the shock and I had NO bump stops. But it depends on roads if you hit a big elevation chnage yes you could bottom out. On xD I think the sway bar end links in the front play a big role it what alot of xDers consider bottoming out. Also hitting the inner fenders if really low can cause rougher ride.

Coilovers can be tricky as well. Cheap coilovers that just adjust drive height by moving spring up and down on the perch without compensating shocks will have roughter ride when slammed but maybe decent ride at stock height. But if you get coilovers with dampening abilities. Meaning you can adjust the dampening on the shock/strut then you are set for the most part. Becuase these allow you to stiffen or soften the shock rebounds and compression as needed to give you the perfect overall ride you want for the height you are at. Some places sale just a shock and strut that have dampening capabilities that are not coilovers. so these are options for lower vehicles with just springs.

I am on air suspension. Now my ride is the hardest to deal with. too much air and it is like have a high spring rate. It is stiff and bouncy. To little air and it is like a soft spring rate and it feel squishy. I am on stock struts and shocks. The reason I said what I did about the bottoming out is when everything was hooked up like it is (non modified end links) I could ride like I was at about a 2 inch or so drop and if I hit a bump the passenger side strut sound like it bottomed out. But I disconnected the front end links completely and it doesn't do it anymore. only time it sounds like it bottoms out is if I am practically out of air and hit a bump.

Now I just need to pull the sway bar all the way off, but from what I see I have to disconnect the steering assembly and drop the complete lower suspension.

Ok back on topic.

Basically it depends on type of ride you are looking for and how low you want and making any necesary compromises between the two. I personally like lowness over ride qaulity for the most part. I have a 94 s10 dropped 6 inches in the back and 5 in the front and frame rails are about 3 inches from the ground. that thing rides like a beast on some bad roads. but on new paved roads it rides like a champ.