View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

xDTool
Full Access Member

Name: Bob
Send a message via AIM to xDTool Send a message via Yahoo to xDTool
Originally Posted by Vicbuilder View Post
So just picked up the new 2010 yesterday. We opted for the mid-level Alpine system. Didn't know it before delivery, but I guess there is a cable that you can hook to it so your IPod will play its videos on the screen. I ordered it today, but won't see it for a few days.
Couple of questions:
Anyone done this yet? Dealer says it plugs into the back and I'll have to pull the stereo out and run the cord. Where then does the cord come out? I thought I had read in the Alpine manual you could use either of the existing ports to plug in to.
Dealer also says that the park brake will have to be on to play videos. Sounds like a typical safety deal. Hypothetically (of course) a person could, say, wire in a toggle switch in the e-brake circut to mimic the brake being on, and have video play while driving. Not that i would of course, but that sure would be nice for the passenger on long road trips.....hypothetically.....
I havn't done this with the stock unit, but I'm basing my knowledge on the deck that I do have, which is the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD.

first: Pulling the radio and plugging the cable into the back is very very simple to say the least, simply pulling on the waterfall detaches it, and 4 screws later the deck is pulling out.

second: I ran my USB (since i dont have a stock unit i couldnt use the supplied ports), down to that little pocket at the very bottom/front of the waterfall and when I replaced the trim i just sort of snapped the plastic down over it, so that the cord comes out slightly to the USB port. (can take pictures if youd like to give you an idea).

Yep, the parking brake is a safety feature, Mine's bypassed using the technique you described, basically the parking brake makes a ground contact when you turn it on (gives you the brake light on your cluster), so you hook the "ebrake cable" to a switch and run the other end to a ground, then toggle until it works. not sure if this is the same for your deck, i remember hearing that some other brands require the use of Relays to bypass the ebrake safety.

As for questions specific to the Alpine unit, i'm not much help, but as for taking the waterfall apart, its a cake walk... and i can help you with that, the switches, and ideas with wire running.

Added: Also, on the video function, if its like the AVH-P4100DVD, the reason is that the unit cannot compute the data for the video from the iPod, therefore you have to have an auxiliary video plugged up so basically the iPod cable for my deck is an iPod plug on one end, and a split wire on the other, one going to a USB, and the other going to a set of composites. (not likely that your deck is the same, just describing mine to give you an idea of what you might be running into)

Last edited by xDTool; 03-03-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added
xDTool is offline   Reply With Quote